Phone: 46 (0)31-786 00 00
Fax: 46 (0)31-786 39 90
Film on eelgrass:
Hela Västra Götalands Västerhav: Övergödning
I am interested on interactions between benthic organisms and hydrodynamics (waves and currents) combining field experiments, flume measurements and numerical modelling. I am currently developing techniques for large scale restoration of eelgrass (Zostera marina) ecosystems in Sweden. My aim is to obtain basic ecological knowledge on seagrass ecology from seed harvesting, seed storage, germination, seed planting techniques and root development of seedlings. I am also interested on the effect of waves and currents on seagrass distribution from seeds and seedlings to large meadows and the effect of seagrass canopies on flow and wave propagation.
• Seagrass restoration using seeds and seedlings
• Wave energy and seagrass distribution
• Wave damping by submerged seagrass meadows
• Drag forces of flexible seagrass canopies
I am part of the ZORRO (Zostera Restoration, www.gu.se/zorro) that focus on restoration of seagrass in Sweden. The ZORRO group consists of marine ecologists, environmental legal scholars and economists from Gothenburg University with the goal to improve the environmental status of shallow coastal ecosystems through the development of new methods for the management and restoration of seagrass habitats in Sweden.
2015-2019 Towards science-based coastal management: Tipping points for seagrass conservation and restoration. (Diarienr. 2014-735). Main Reserarcher: E. Infantes. The Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning (FORMAS).
2014-2016 Development of management and restauration of eelgrass ecosystems. Main researcher: P-O. Moksnes. Research project from Havs- och vattenmyndigheten (Diarienr. 2283-14, Verksamhet: 289008904 at Havsmiljöinstitutet).
2012-2014 Restoration of eelgras (Zostera marina) ecosystems in Sweden (PER 2012/36). Main researcher: P.O. Moksnes. Financed by: The Swedish Research Council for Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning (FORMAS).
2007-2009 Restoration and recovering techniques of the seagrass Posidonia oceanica meadows using seeds and seedlings (116/SGTB/2007/1.3). Main researcher: J. Terrados Muñoz. Financed by: Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación (MICINN).
2008-2009 Biodegradable underwater structures seagrass Posidonia oceanica meadow restoration using seeds and seedlings (CIT-310000-2008-9). Main researcher: J. Terrados Muñoz. Financed by: Ministerio de Ciencia e Innovación (MICINN).
2005-2008 Invasive marine macroalgae in the Balearic Islands: risk assessment and effects of benthic communities (CTM2005-01434/MAR). Main researcher: J. Terrados Muñoz. Financed by: Ministerio de Educación y Ciencia (MEC).
2004-2006 Monitoring of the Spanish Port Authority (Puertos del Estado) sea level network system. Main researcher: J.D. López. Financed by: Ministerio de Fomento.
10. March D, Alós J, Cabanellas-Reboredo M, Infantes E, Jordi A, Palmer M (2013) A Bayesian spatial approach for predicting seagrass occurrence. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 131: 206-2012.
9. Luhar M, Infantes E, Orfila A, Terrados J, Nepf HM (2013) Field observations of wave-induced streaming through a submerged seagrass (Posidonia oceanica) meadow. Journal of Geophysical Research 118: 1-14.
8. March D, Alos J, Cabanellas M, Infantes E, Palmer M. (2013) Probabilistic mapping of Posidonia oceanica cover: a Bayesian geostatistical analysis of seabed images. Aquatic Botany 106: 14-19
7. Infantes E, Orfila A, Simarro G, Luhar M, Terrados J, Nepf H. (2012) Effect of a seagrass (Posidonia oceanica) meadow on wave propagation. Marine Ecology Progress Series 456: 63-72.
6. Domínguez M, Celdrán-Sabater D, Muñoz-Vera A, Infantes E, Martinez-Baños P, Marín A, Terrados J (2012). Experimental evaluation of the restoration capacity of a fish-farm impacted area with Posidonia oceanica (L.) Delile seedlings. Restoration Ecology 20: 180-187.
5. Infantes E, Orfila A, Bouma TJ, Simarro G, Terrados J (2011) Posidonia oceanica and Cymodocea nodosa seedling tolerance to wave exposure. Limnology and Oceanography 56(6): 2223-2232.
4. Infantes E, Terrados J, Orfila A (2011) Assestment of substratum effect on the distribution of two Caulerpa (Chlorophyta) species. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science 91: 434-441.
3. Luhar M, Coutu S, Infantes E, Fox S, Nepf H (2010). Wave induced velocities inside a model seagrass bed. Journal of Geophysical Research Vol. 115, C12, 1-15.
2. Domínguez M, Infantes E, Terrados J (2010) Seed maturity of the Mediterranean seagrass Cymodocea nodosa. Vie et Milieu 60: 1-6.
1. Infantes E, Terrados J, Orfila A, Cañellas B, Álvarez-Ellacuria A (2009) Wave energy and the upper depth limit distribution of Posidonia oceanica. Botanica Marina 52: 419-427.
Infantes E, Karlsson L, Moksnes P-O. Eelgras (Zostera marina) restoration methods using seeds in Sweden.
Infantes E and Moksnes P-O. Zostera marina reproductive shoot development and seed collection for large-sclae restoration in the Swedish west coast.
Infantes E, Crouzy C, Moksnes P-O. Eelgrass seed predation by the crab Carcinus maenas.
Eriander L, Infantes E, Olofsson M, Olsen J, Moksnes P-O. Assessing methods for restoration of eelgrass (Zostera marina) on the Swedish NW coast.
Eriander L, Infantes E, Holmer M, Moksnes P-O. Sulphide invasion as a potential explanation for the differences in survival of transplanted eelgrass.
Moksnes P, L. Eriander, E. Infantes. Historical losses, ecosystem changes and potential for restoration of eelgrass habitats on the Swedish west coast. Jul 2015.